Activities & Recreation
Historic Walking Tour of Leadville, Colorado
Click on the Stops
in the Map Above
Or Click on the
Forward or Back
2. Healy House
Walk southeast from the parking lot to Harrison Avenue.
The three story house on the southeast corner of Harrison and Tenth is the Healy House. Originally a two-story structure, the Healy House was built in 1878 by August R. Meyer, a mining engineer from St. Louis who established the first ore sampling works in Leadville. Sold in 1881, the house eventually became the property of Daniel Healy, who leased it as a boardinghouse from 1897 to 1902. In 1898 a third story was added to accommodate more boarders, most of them schoolteachers. The Dexter Cabin, an exclusive poker club for wealthy gentlemen, sits next door to the Healy House. The Healy House and Dexter Cabin are public museums operated by the Colorado Historical Society during the summer months.
Copyright © 1998, Gloria Cheshier |
Photos by Global Vista Technologies, Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Historic Walking Tour Home Page